Humphrey Fellow Jain at Permanent Mission of India to the UN

SanjayJain 

Brief note on Professional Affiliation with Permanent Mission of India to United Nations

To actualize my aspiration to broaden my perspective and outlook on global affairs and learn international best practices, success stories and efforts of global community and multilateral agencies in the field of gender equality, and women empowerment, effective and democratic good governance, civic engagement and participation, inclusive and sustainable development, I affiliated to the United Nations through Permanent Mission of India to UN as part of my professional affiliation. My aim is to deepen my understanding of multilateral and regional cooperation in the field of gender disparity and violence, world view on social and human developmental activities and realization of Millennium Development Goals (MDG) from the prism of women empowerment and gender mainstreaming.
During my affiliation, I got the privilege to participate and learn about negotiation, facilitation and conciliation process to arrive at common ground on contentious issues, peacekeeping and peace building activities/mission, disaster risk reduction, response and recovery, international humanitarian assistance, climate change and sustainable development. It helped tremendously in enriching, appreciating and expanding my knowledge base in the field of public policy formulation, multi-disciplinary and cross-sectoral stakeholder engagement, collaboration and partnership building, regional cooperation, strategic planning, setting measurable performance framework/indicators, and evaluation process of various program and policies. During annual session of Executive Board Meeting of UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS, I witnessed the intensive deliberation, discussion and debate on progress and achievement made by the UNDP in pursuance of strategic plan 2014-17 and its report card in term of integrated results and resource framework.
Besides widening my perspective and deepen my insight into the UN working procedures and various developmental programs of UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS/UN Women, professional affiliation helps me in cementing a concrete network of professional contact of relevant agencies, authorities, officials, and civil society organizations/activist so as to build collaboration and partnership at local level for capacity development through training, advocacy, project implementation and to gather critical mass for societal transformation.
During my professional affiliation, I am focusing on two specialized agencies of UN, that is, UNDP and UN Women.  ‘To help countries to achieve the simultaneous eradication of poverty and significant reduction of inequalities and exclusion’ is the strategic vision of UNDP. Among its prime development activities it includes poverty eradication as the greatest global challenge, sustainable development, gender equality and women’s empowerment, transitions from relief to development, and resilience building. It provides expert advice, training, and grant support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to implement these standards. It stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas: increasing women’s leadership and participation; ending violence against women; engaging women in all aspects of peace and security processes; enhancing women’s economic empowerment; and making gender equality central to national development planning and budgeting. UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality.

Sanjay Kumar Jain
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellow 2014-15
Humphrey School of Public Affairs
University of Minnesota

Senior Superintendent of Police
National Human Rights of India
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement