Alums Flanagan & Swanson at One Acre Fund, Kenya

From Jesse (MPP 2014): As a Program Associate in the Scale Innovations Department, I investigate and trial potential changes to One Acre Fund’s operating model. After I trial a potential change I make recommendations that help One Acre Fund operate at a larger scale. I manage two trials, both of which aim to answer questions about the best ways to market our products to farmers. In the trial that I enjoy most, I hired five agricultural extension officers to spend one year canvasing territory and training farmers that have chosen not to join One Acre Fund, in hopes that they see the value of what we offer and join us in future years. If the trial is successful, it could change the way One Acre Fund reaches new farmers.

From Chris (MDP 2013): As a Program Associate on One Acre Fund's Kenya Field Operations Team, I manage several projects and programs focused on maximizing impact for our clients. The largest program I manage is our crops program, which involves rolling out crop trainings to our 1,000+ field staff and to our 135,000+ farmers, as well as monitoring and responding to crop issues throughout all of our districts. The project I most enjoy managing is our solar program, through which we distributed nearly 100,000 solar lights to our 137,000 clients in 2015. In 2016, we will increase impact through non-agricultural products by also offering improved cookstoves and reusable sanitary pads to all farmers, and piloting water filters and solar home systems as trials for farmers in limited districts.

One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. Through a complete bundle of services offered on credit, the organization distributes quality farm inputs to the remote areas where farmers live, trains farmers on agriculture techniques, and educates them on how to minimize post-harvest losses and maximize market prices. On average, farmers working with One Acre Fund realize at least 100 percent return on their investment and significantly increase farm income on every planted acre. The organization currently serves 280,000 smallholder farmers in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, and Tanzania and aims to serve one million farmers by 2020. Follow @oneacrefund or visit www.oneacrefund.org for more information.

One Acre Fund is hiring for 40+ positions in six countries. If you are interested in joining our team, please reach out to jesse.flanagan@oneacrefund.org or chris.swanson@oneacrefund.org for an informational interview. You can also check out our jobs page here: http://grnh.se/64p1xb

One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. We only serve farmers and we always put Farmers First.
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement