Elizabeth Rojas

Meet the HHH International Fellows!

Elizabeth.jpg
Name: Elizabeth Rojas

Country: Ecuador

1. What was the first job you ever had?
My first job was working as Sales and Marketing Assistant in Ecuador Bottling Company (Coca Cola)

2. What is an interesting fact about your home country that most people wouldn't know?
"In Ecuador we have "four worlds." In a single day a tourist can have breakfast along the beaches of the Pacific with fresh seafood, then have lunch at the foot of Cayambe, a majestic Andean mountain, snow-covered year-round, right on the equator this snow cove, and finally have dinner deep in the Amazon jungle. The next day, after a flight lasting less than two hours, our tourist, amazed, can be in the Galápagos Islands, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World."

Source: President Rafael Correa Conference at the Harvard JFK School of Government, 2014

3. What is the most interesting place you've visited in your lifetime? Why?
The most interesting place that I have visited and that I love to go when I return to my home city

-Cuenca- is the "Cajas National Park". It is a stunning Landscape located in the highlands of Ecuador, in which you can hike through the high elevation grasslands, admire some of the 250 lakes located within the park , see some animals as the llama, water mouse, birds, rabbits, pacas, or if you are lucky the South American Condor but most of all it is a very peaceful and relaxing place in which you can get connected with yourself and with nature.

4. What is the place you'd most like to visit in the United States?
I would like to visit the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, through pictures I have seen that is an amazing place full of lakes, mountains and beautiful landscapes.

5. What is your favorite place in the U of M campus area?
My favorite place is the IFP Lobby, it is a good place to share with international fellows, and get updated with international news.

6. What is one word you would use to describe the Twin Cities?
Fascinating

7. What is the most challenging aspect of your current position in your home country?
As Director of International Affairs at the Coordinating Ministry for Strategic Sectors one of my responsibilities was to strengthen the relations with the international community and to negotiate international cooperation agreements. The most challenging aspect was to communicate and interact properly with people around the world, for this reason it is essential to learn and understand different cultures and the aspects of foreign policy of the countries with which you are working.

8. What are the policy issues that are of most interest to you?
I'm interested in environmental and energy policies, also foreign policies.

9. What organization will you be working with for your professional
affiliation (or where would you like to have your professional affiliation if it is not yet
finalized)?

I will be working for the Inter - American Development Bank in the Ecuador Office in
Washington DC. The IDB supports clients in the design of projects, and provides financing,
technical assistance and knowledge services to support development interventions.

10. What is your primary goal for your Fellowship experience at the Humphrey School?
My primary goal in the fellowship experience is to acquire knowledge about environmental policies and their implementation, energy efficiency, innovative environmental initiatives, and financial mechanisms for environmentally sustainable projects and use this knowledge to develop proposals to implement in my country with the help of the international cooperation.

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement