Humphrey students: Stassen International Grants 2018, applications requested

Stassen International Grants
2018 – Guidelines

To encourage students to do internships, field experiences, professional paper or capstone research in the fields of international affairs, international development, or any of the specializations listed under the Humphrey School’s global public policy concentration (ask for list from Mary Curtin) in the United States or abroad.  Students in all HHH master level degree programs are encouraged to apply.

The sponsoring organization and the project work should relate to international affairs, broadly defined, or project should be based overseas.  Please read all guidelines listed in this document carefully.

The Stassen and Lucas Grants Selection Committee will award grants for the summer of 2018.  Awards typically range between $1000 and $2000 based upon need and the quality of the proposal, although some projects have received as much as $4,000, or as little as $500.  Students are encouraged to approach the sponsoring organization for matching funds, even gifts in kind (some organizations have assisted with housing, lunches, transportation or even loaned interns bicycles).

Any student currently enrolled in good standing in the master degree program (MHR, MPP, MSTEP, MPA, MURP or MDP) at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs is eligible to apply. 

Application Procedures
Applications are due by midnight, Tuesday, March 20, 2018. Awards will be announced on or before Friday, April 13, 2018. Please provide the following information:

1.     A one paragraph summary of proposed internship, field experience, capstone or professional paper research project (include a summary of your anticipated project expenses).  Please list the name of your project faculty advisor.

2.      A two page description of your internship, field experience, or capstone or professional paper research project.  Please describe what you want to do, the expected outcome or product of this work, what background and expertise you bring to this work, why you have chosen this particular organization or area of research, and what this experience will add to your professional development. Please note any particular UMN resources (faculty advisors, university contacts or projects, university offices or facilities abroad) you are using to assist in preparation for your project. For research projects, please attach a comprehensive literature review. 

3.     A project expense statement and budget.  Please attach a budget for your project that provides the following financial information: any compensation you will receive from a host organization, any other income, awards, or grants that you have for the summer relevant to this project, and the major summer costs you will incur (for example, travel expenses, housing, food or research-related expenses).  Please see attached budget worksheet to assist you in creating a project budget.

4.     Information about host organization or capstone client.  Students applying for internship, MDP field experience, or capstone projects must provide relevant documentation relating to their host organization or capstone client.  For internship applications: A signed internship agreement form (available: ) is required.  For capstone students, a signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or equivalent is required.  Professional paper students will need a signed paper topic approval form. The document submitted should describe any resources that the organization will commit to the project as well as the person who will be your primary contact and a brief explanation of the ways in which the organization intends to make use of your work.   Students doing research projects should indicate any IRB requirements (see below).

5.     A copy of your graduate academic transcript. A copy “released to student” is fine.

6.     Your resume.

Please submit your application by email to Sherry Gray ( by midnight, Tuesday, March 20, 2018.  All documents should be labeled with your last name (ex: gray.resume.doc) and included in the same pdf file, also labeled with your last name (ex: gray.stassen.pdf)

Late applications will not be accepted, but students are encouraged to submit applications even if signed forms with host organizations are not ready (late forms will be accepted).

Reporting Requirements

At some point during the funding period, please send a photo and brief description of your project to Sherry Gray for posting on Global Notes (

Within a month of returning to campus on completion of the funded part of your project, please submit a two page report to the global policy area coordinator, Sherry Gray. The report will:
1)    Describe the activities undertaken,
2)    give an assessment of the value of the experience for the student's HHH program and future plans as well as for the organization and/or people served, and
3)    provide a brief accounting of how the grant funds were spent.

Please also send to Sherry Gray a copy of any final reports, capstone final products, professional papers, or publications related to this funded project for which you were an author or co-author.

Please Note

  • If your project involves travel to a country on the U.S. State Department's Travel Warning List or other warning lists, such as the Centers for Disease Control (see, University policy requires you to seek special permission. You must apply to the Education Abroad Suspension Committee (EASC), which reviews requests to travel to these countries. You should apply as soon as possible, as the committee review process commonly takes 6 to 8 weeks.  The Humphrey School cannot release your funds until you have received approval from the EASC.     Information on the review process can be found on the Global Programs and Strategy Alliance website:

  • In addition, if your project includes research involving human subjects, you must apply to the University's Institutional Review Board for approval before commencing your work. This process can also take several weeks to complete, so you if your project needs approval you should start your application now. The Humphrey School will need notification of your IRB approval status in order to release your funds. Information on the IRB application process is found at:

  • UMN requires CISI International Health Insurance for travel outside the United States.  All students traveling abroad in connection with their University of Minnesota studies are required to receive international health insurance approved by the University’s Risk Management Office:

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement