Humphrey team presents at International Panel on Climate Change

I am very excited to share my experience in the first ever International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) -Cities and Climate Change conference from Mar 4 to 7 at Edmonton, Canada. I am very proud that we made a great presence on this global platform, although it is a very selective conference. We have three oral presentations delivered by STEP PhD students (Dana Boyer and myself) and an IoE Post-doc fellow (Rylie Pelton). Andrew Fang, a STEP PhD student, had a poster. Prof. Anu Ramaswami was a convener for a session and held a press conference on behalf of the United Nation Environmental Programme-International Resource Panel to share two new reports. I haven’t seen other U.S. universities have such a fantastic presence at this conference.

I am extremely inspired by discussions of research agenda and knowledge gaps during the conference. The cutting-edge research that we are doing in STEP Urban Sustainability group either filled or aims to fill some of these knowledge gaps. As a junior scientist on urban sustainability, nothing is more inspired than this.  

Now, I am back to Minneapolis, but I can feel the momentum. During the conference, I was part of a global community, sharing and learning new knowledge with people from different countries. After the conference, I know that I am still a global citizen, who is conducting high-quality research to find out new and innovative solutions. “Driven to Discover”, I like UMN’s slogan a lot and am very proud to carry the spirit of the U.

Here I share some pictures with you.

Kangkang Tong, Ph.D. candidate, Humphrey School of Public Affairs
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement