MURP Kieser awarded Smaby Peace Fellowship to attend Oslo International Summer School

Congratulations to MURP student Nicholas Kieser on being awarded a Philip C. Smaby Peace Fellowship to attend the University of Oslo's 2018 International Summer School (ISS). The scholarship is to participate in a graduate course in Peace Research; Human Rights; Gender Equality in the Nordic Countries; Energy, Environment & Sustainable Development; International Community Health; A Changing Arctic; or International Development Studies at the University of Oslo International Summer School from June 23 to August 3, 2018.

Philip C. Smaby was proud of both his Norwegian immigrant heritage and his life-long commitment to building global business relationships that encouraged economic stability and supported a more peaceful world. A 1942 graduate of the University of Minnesota, Smaby wished to reflect these deeply held values in a gift to his alma mater to endow a graduate fellowship at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs designed to inspire and engage students to pursue academic studies at the world-renowned University of Oslo International Summer School in the fields of world peace, social justice, conflict resolution and human rights. A biography of Mr. Smaby can be found at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/startribune/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=119311647.

Previous Humphrey School Smaby Awardees are:

2017 Marinda Bland (MPP) and Kelsey Kappler (MSTEP)
2016 Abbie Plouff (MPP)
2015 Meredith Cavin (MPP)
2014 Erin Cowles (MSTEP)
2013 Tenzin Khando (MPP) and Brendan Crosby (MPA)
2012 Harshada Karnik (MPP) and Erik Sande (MPP)
2011 Brandon Baumbach (MPP) and Duane Johnson (MPP)

Bio of Nick Kieser:

"My goal is to pursue a career in sustainability implementation and education within an urban setting. The Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development class at the Oslo International Summer School would be a unique opportunity to learn new sustainable development strategies and exchange ideas with other advocates of sustainability. Receiving the opportunity to learn from professionals with international sustainability experience would also help determine my future path in the environmental planning field. This course will allow me to witness sustainability projects in Norway, which will offer beneficial insight to spark conversations about sustainability solutions in my education and career.

I studied Environmental Studies and Geography at Gustavus Adolphus College for my undergraduate degrees. After Gustavus, I worked for the Colorado Department of Natural Resources at a state park in Walden, Colorado. I focused on community engagement and education, GIS work and grant writing. I then came back to Minnesota to pursue my graduate degree focused on environmental planning at the Humphrey."
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement