Apr 23 Soviet imaginary in 1980s Cuba

The Little Grey Wolf Will Come. Childhood and Soviet imaginary in 1980s Cuba

Mon, 04/23/2018 - 3:30pm
537 Heller Hall

Dashel Hernandez. Visual artist, art educator, and writer. EMPA (Candidate) Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University.

Abstract: The Little Grey Wolf Will Come was the original title —rejected by the Soviet censors— of the acclaimed animated film Tale of Tales (Yuri Norstein, 1979). As Norstein, I am interested in creating a visual emotional response to both, my changing personal memories and a part of my country’s history. I am fascinated by the relationship between childhood memory and history, as well as the boundaries between reality and memory. How was it like to grow up in Cuba during the late 1970s and early 1980s? What did the world look like from behind the “Iron Curtain”? And how were these visions reflected on the small, never-told history of common people? Drawing from my own childhood memories, I created Javier Antonio as a character/alter ego that is also a synthesis of my entire generation. Javier Antonio becomes the thread that runs through the entire exhibition, guiding the spectator into a magical world inhabited by happiness, pain, and remembrance.
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement