Humphrey Fellow alum Mumba hosts 2 UMN students in Zambia field exp

Humphrey School 2015-16 Humphrey Fellow Ms. Agness Mumba facilitated internships for two UoM graduate students with her organization, Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE).

Ana Asanin is a medical doctor currently enrolled in Executive Program MPH in Public Health Practice at University of Minnesota.  She plans to graduate in May 2017 and continue her career in Global Health. Her special interests are pandemics research and prevention and she chose AWE-Zambia to do my field experience-internship in order to learn more about HIV prevention, teenage pregnancies, and HIV treatment in Zambia. Dr. Asanin says "I’ve learned that early HIV education and sexual education are key in HIV and teenage pregnancies prevention among young people. During my 4 weeks internship at FAWE-Zambia, I have participated in teaching young people in some Lusaka and Western Province schools about HIV and teenage pregnancy prevention and also participated in monitoring life-skills (HIV) education under the USAID/Zambia education program (Time to Learn) which is co-implemented by Education Development Centre and FAWE-Zambia. The Time to Learn program aims to promote HIV/AIDS prevention and provide continuum of educational and financial support to enable Orphans and Vulnerable Children to participate in secondary education. I am very grateful to FAWE-Zambia for according me this enriching professional experience."

Bethany Leech is a graduate student at the U of M in the Comparative and International Development Education program, College of Education and Human Development. Bethany was attached to FAWE-Swaziland where she is interested in learning more about education and in particular, girls’ education in Sub-Saharan Africa.  From Bethany: "Working with FAWESWA I have learned many great lessons. Assisting our program manager, I have gained invaluable experience in the process of submitting a baseline protocol for approval in order to implement a foreign funded, longitudinal research study. Being involved in this process has been very insightful as I have learned about protocol writing, been involved with communicating with community members about the research project, and witnessed the complex reality of working with a foreign funded grant. This experience has taught me great lessons in the importance of communication, working with a team that is skilled and passionate, and how to be resourceful in a resource-limited setting. I have also assisted the organization with several public information pieces such as newspaper articles and pamphlets to be distributed to school-aged girls that discuss topics such as girls rights to education, friendship, and human trafficking."

Agness Mumba
Fulbright-Hubert Humphrey Fellow (2015-2016)
Humphrey School of Public Affairs
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

Executive Director
Forum for African Women Educationalists (FAWE)- Zambia Chapter
Lusaka, Zambia

© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement