MSTEP Helgesen awarded Smaby Fellowship

Congratulations to MSTEP student Erik Helgesen on being awarded the 2018 Philip C. Smaby Peace Fellowship to study at the University of Oslo International Summer School.

The Smaby family and the University of Minnesota Foundation have established a generous fellowship of $5,000.00 for two students at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs to participate in a graduate course in Peace Research; Human Rights; Gender Equality in the Nordic Countries; Energy, Environment & Sustainable Development; International Community Health; A Changing Arctic; or International Development Studies at the University of Oslo International Summer School, from June 23 to August 3, 2018.

Previous Humphrey School Smaby Awardees are:

2017 Marinda Bland (MPP) and Kelsey Kappler (MSTEP)
2016 Abbie Plouff (MPP)
2015 Meredith Cavin (MPP)
2014 Erin Cowles (MSTEP)
2013 Tenzin Khando (MPP) and Brendan Crosby (MPA)
2012 Harshada Karnik (MPP) and Erik Sande (MPP)
2011 Brandon Baumbach (MPP) and Duane Johnson (MPP)

About Erik:

"Born and raised on Minnesota’s North Shore, I have always been fascinated by the deep connections between people and the environments in which they live and work. I received a B.S. in Environmental Science with a minor in Peace Studies from the University of Notre Dame, where I explored the ways in which our environment impacts and is impacted by conflict situations around the world. For the last few years, I have devoted my energies to promoting bicycling as a way to build community and empower individuals through my volunteer and professional work at Third Hand Bike Co-op in Columbus, OH and The Hub Bike Co-op here in Minneapolis.

At the University of Oslo, I will be studying Energy, Environment, and Social Change to further my work in understanding the relationship between environmental policy and the development of social capital, articulation of common values, and successful management of shared resources. As a global leader in the management of natural resources and promotion of transparency and accountability in extractive industries, Norway is an ideal place to continue my studies and the global perspectives of students in the ISS will be invaluable in developing a better understanding of the complexities of environmental policy around the world."

Erik Helgesen
Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy M.S. student
© 2015 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Privacy Statement